Contact us now with any ecology queries: Claire Munn, Principal Ecologist:

Ecological Services

Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA)

The PEA provides an initial overview of the potential for proposed development to impact on legally protected and notable wildlife habitats and species and biodiversity in general.

Habitat Regulations Assessment (HRA)

Habitat Regulations Assessment (HRA) for both development projects and local plans


Due to strict legislation protecting bats and their roosts, it is often advisable to instruct an ecologist to carry out a Preliminary Roost Assessment (PRA) of trees, buildings and structures that may be impacted by proposed works.


If you are proposing works in suitable habitats and areas known to lie within the dormouse range, you may need a presence / likely absence survey to inform appropriate mitigation.

Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA)

EcIAs can be stand-alone documents for any kind of planning application, or can form part of the wider Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for schemes where this is required.

Great Crested Newts

Great crested newts and their habitats (aquatic and terrestrial) are legally protected. They use ponds and other still water-bodies to breed during spring and summer, but spend the rest of the year on land.


The more widespread reptile species are legally protected from harm. If you are carrying out work that may impact on reptiles, you are likely to need presence / likely absence and population assessment surveys.


If you are carrying works out at a location and time of year when birds may be nesting, we may be able to carry out a nesting bird check for you to ascertain if active nests are present.


If you are planning works within the vicinity of a confirmed or potential sett, or in habitat that is suitable for badger setts to be present, it is worth contacting us for advice.

Water Voles

If you are planning works near a watercourse, you may need a water vole survey to inform the need or otherwise for water vole mitigation.

Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW)

We can provide you with high-level ECoW management and field ecologists to enable development activities and oversee some aspects of the works to ensure compliance